Fantasy Golf Picks and Predictions for THE PLAYERS Championship 2014
Fantasy Golf Predictions for the THE PLAYERS Championship May 8st – 11th, 2014
Our fantasy picks bounced back in amazing fashion last week, capping off an outstanding three winners picked out of the last four tournaments. We’ll talk more about this week’s fantasy picks in a moment, but for now, let’s talk about the PLAYERS Championship – a golf tournament that although is not a major championship, it certainly is treated like one. With a total earnings purse of $10 million, 600 FedExCup points on the line, and a star-packed field, it’s certain to be an exciting few days in Ponte Vedra Beach this week!
So much can go wrong (or right) on the 17th hole at the famous TPC Sawsgrass, leaving this tournament wide open to anyone in this week’s robust field of 144 players and 10 possible alternates. In total, 46 out of the Top 50 in the world (notably excluding Tiger and Jason Day) will be participating in this event and No. 2 Scott (’04) and No. 3 Stenson (’09) are both returning champions to THE PLAYERS.
The event, which always seems to conclude on Mother’s Day, will certainly miss its returning champ this week (Tiger Woods), but we’re sure the field will make for an exciting finish – as it always does. A possible treat of thunderstorms may hover around TPC Sawgrass late Sunday but the rest of week should be pleasant.
As mentioned, you can count on 46 of the Top 50 players in the world teeing off in Ponte Vedra Beach and many hot new 2014 winners (outside of those rankings) will join them. It is truly anyone’s tournament this week as the course has continually proven to make or break any golfer. We’ve averaged $1.920 million in fantasy earnings over the past 4 tournaments picking players in two tough fields (Masters and Wells Fargo Championship) and we’re confident we can do it again this week. More on that in a minute…
TPC Sawgrass (Stadium Course) measures in at 7,215 yards and plays as a daunting par 72. This world famous course was carefully carved out of 400 acres of wetlands by the master, Pete Dye, to offer a challenge on all levels. There are no two consecutive holes on the Stadium course that play in the same direction, thus turning the wind direction with every hole. TPC Sawgrass is also filled with challenging doglegs diving in both directions throughout the course. Although many of the holes present their own challenge, no single hole gets more attention than its shortest – the 137-yard 17th, with a tee shot over water to a green that most say can change the tournament with a single stroke. For this reason it has easily become one of the most famous, and recognizable holes in all of golf.
Weather Forecast for Ponte Vedra Beach, FL (from weather.com)
- Round 1: Thursday (May 8) 84 degrees, 0% chance of rain, mostly sunny.
- Round 2: Friday (May 9) 83 degrees, 0% chance of rain, partly cloudy.
- Round 3: Saturday (May 10) 82 degrees, 0% chance of rain, partly cloudy.
- Round 4: Sunday (May 11) 80 degrees, 30% chance of rain, isolated T-storms.
In 2013 Tiger Woods became just the fifth player in history to win the PLAYERS Championship twice and did so by hanging on while Sergio Garcia fell apart with a few wet tee shots on 17. The two were tied for the lead coming into the infamous 17th where Woods was able to card a par-par finish while Garcia took himself out of contention with a quadruple-bogey 7 on the 17th. Woods ended up finishing with a 2-under-par 70 and was able clinch the win when rookie David Lingmerth missed a birdie putt on 18 that would have forced extra holes. Woods’ second victory at THE PLAYERS Championship came 12 long years after his first.
Without Tiger in the hunt this week, the field is wide open (as was the Masters).
- Television Broadcasts
- Thursday-Friday, 1:00 – 7:00 p.m. ET (Golf Channel).
- Saturday-Sunday, 12:00 – 2:30 p.m. (GC), 2:00 – 7:00 p.m. (CBS)
- Radio Broadcasts
- Thursday- Sunday, noon – 6:00 p.m. ET (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).
- Mobile Broadcasts
- Simultaneous coverage on the Golf Live Extra mobile app by Golf Channel.
In last week’s Fantasy Picks and Predictions segment we told you to avoid Mickelson and opt for a new name – J.B. Holmes, a notable pick given that Mickelson fell to T11 and J.B. won the event, picking up $1.242 million worth of earnings in the process. Nothing too surpising given the fact that we’ve been lights-out this year with six winners picked in just eighteen events, including three winners in the last four tournaments.
Our total YTD fantasy earnings are now $23,414,821 which averages out to just over $1.3 million per event. It’s outside the box thinking like last week’s Holmes pick that that has our Premium Members leading their fantasy leagues. We’re also very close to our goal of 50% top 10s picked and at this rate, we should be there pretty quickly. There is a lot of “free” picks on the internet these days, but most are just odds-makers throwing darts to see what sticks. In golf, you need to have a little more in depth research to successfully pick the winners and our staff is knocking the cover off the ball doing so.
Our Top 5 (and Top 2 Sleeper) Fantasy Picks and Odds to Win THE PLAYERS Championship for 2014
You must be a Premium Member to view our exclusive fantasy golf picks.
Already a member? Sign in Here.
Last Week’s Results: Top 5 Picks/Odds to Win the 2014 Wells Fargo Championship
- Jimmy Walker (Golficity Odds 10/1): MC ($0)
- Jim Furyk (Golficity Odds 12/1): 2nd ($745,200)
- Rory McIlroy (Golficity Odds 15/1): T8 ($200,100)
- Justin Rose (Golficity Odds 22/1): 5th ($276,000)
- J.B. Holmes (Golficity Odds 28/1): WINNER ($1,242,000)
Last Week’s Results: Sleeper Picks/Odds to Win the 2014 Wells Fargo Championship
- Ryan Moore (Golficity Odds 40/1): T18 ($89,976)
- Rickie Fowler (Golficity Odds 40/1): T38 ($28,980)
Fantasy Golf Predictions Stats: Season to Date
- Total Fantasy Dollars: $23,414,821 (Average tournament winnings of $1,300,823.38).
- Winners picked: 6 winners selected out of 18 tournaments (33.33% winners picked in 2014).
- Top 10s: 48 out of 126 players picked (38.10% of players picked finished in Top 10).
- Top 3s: 16 out of 126 players picked (12.70% players picked finished in the Top 3).
- Missed Cuts: Only 16 out of 123 players (87.00% of the picks made the cut in 2014).
- Major Winners Picked: 1 out of 1 (100%)
What are your fantasy picks and predictions for this week’s THE PLAYERS Championship at the famous TPC Sawgrass? Let us know by leaving your comments below.