Golficity’s Fantasy Golf Predictions for the 2013 Farmers Insurance Open – Jan 24-27, 2013
The Course: The infamous Torrey Pines GC (South) in beautiful San Diego, CA. This par-72, 7,698-yard track lies among picturesque cliffs facing the expansive Pacific Ocean. Torrey Pines was upgraded in 2001 by Rees Jones and played host to the 2008 U.S. Open and remains the longest course in PGA TOUR history to date. Some players will play the shorter Torrey Pines track (The North Course) in the first 2 rounds – this par-72 course measures only 7,045 yards.
- Round 1: Thursday (Jan 24) 73 degrees, 0% chance of rain, clouds in morning.
- Round 2: Friday (Jan 25) 69 degrees, 10% chance of rain, partly cloudy.
- Round 3: Saturday (Jan 26) 64 degrees, 10% chance of rain, partly cloudy.
- Round 4: Sunday (Jan 27) 61 degrees, 30% chance of rain, few showers.
2012 Results: At the 2011 Farmers Insurance Open, Brandt Snedeker beat Kyle Stanley in a playoff hole after Stanley’s soaked approach shot resulted in a triple bogey before the playoff began. As Stanley came to the South Course’s par-5 final hole, it looked as if he was about to notch his first PGA TOUR victory until he found hazardous trouble. After Snedeker and Stanley both birdied playoff hole number 1, Snedeker came out on top with a birdie on the 2nd playoff hole to begin what would be an epic FedEx Cup Championship season.
Top 5 Picks/Odds to Win:
- Bubba Watson (Golficity Odds: 8/1): Bubba took the crown here in 2011 and followed it up with a T13 last year. Watson has shot under par in his last eight rounds at Torrey Pines and his long ball should play well here. With two top-10s at Torrey Pines in 2007 and 2009, Bubba hasn’t competed since his T4 finish at Kapalua earlier in the month. Don’t overlook his 21 top-20 finishes in his last 26 starts either.
- Dustin Johnson (Golficity Odds: 12/1): DJ hits the ball a mile with his new Taylor Made R1 Driver and this course has as Kapalua feel to it, which he dominated a few weeks ago. Johnson sat out the Sony Open due to flu-like symptoms so he is fresh to dominate again on this cliffside course. Keep in mind; DJ has 2 top-20 finishes in 5 appearances here, with a T3 in 2011. In longer-term predictions we’re already thinking this could be DJ’s year, so you can’t rule him out.
- Charles Howell III (Golficity Odds: 15/1): Howell ranks fifth all-time in earning at Torrey Pines, which ranks him No. 1 among all non-winners. For that alone he deserves a look this week. Howell started the year off strong with a T3 and a playoff loss. With a 65.75 scoring average in 8 rounds at Torrey Pines, we like this guy’s odds to ride up the leader board.
- Brandt Snedeker (Golficity Odds: 20/1): Brandt is in our sights simply for being the defending Farmers Insurance Open champion and arguably the best putter on TOUR. His type of game is ideal for Torrey Pines’ difficult layout, and with 4 top-10s in 6 appearances, he knows how to attack this track.
- Tiger Woods (Golficity Odds: 25/1): Although coming off a missed cut in Abu Dhabi, you can’t fault Tiger for the tough crosswinds during his first event since the World Challenge back on 12/2/2012. Playing with Rory McIlroy (who couldn’t seem to escape the limelight over the past 2 weeks), Tiger didn’t seem like himself in the desert. As a 6-time winner at Torrey Pines, Tiger sat out this event last year and finished T44 here in 2011. We can’t pick him high due to last weeks performance, but keep in mind that this is his fist PGA TOUR event in 2013 and he notched nine top-10s in 19 TOUR starts last year, including 3 wins.
Sleeper Picks/Odds to Win:
- Phil Mickelson (Golficity Odds: 50/1): Phil is a 3-time champ at Torrey Pines, and he didn’t look so bad last week at The Humana Challenge where he went -17 under.
- Scott Stallings (Golficity Odds: 50/1): It was disappointing to see Stallings fall to a T4 last week after looking promising early on. He had a great Fall Series in 2012 and now has 8 top-25s in his last 12 starts. Stallings missed the cut here in his only appearance in 2010, but we like him as a long shot.
The information provided in this post by Golficity, LLC is for informational and entertainment purposes only. Any use of this information in violation of any federal, state or local laws is prohibited. All sports betting should be done in Las Vegas or another legal gambling institution. Golficity, LLC does not condone illegal sports gambling of any kind. We do not guarantee the success of any players mentioned in the above post. There can be no assurances that past results can guarantee future success and results. Gambling involves risk in reviewing any of the information found here you agreed to hold Golficity, LLC harmless of any liability or losses that can potentially occur when gambling. Readers using any of this content should do their own due diligence before engaging in any form of gambling. All images and other content on www.Golficity.com are property of Golficity, LLC. This site is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes, and is in no way affiliated with any sports organization and claims no rights to the trademarks. Please note that the “Golficity Odds” above are used for illustrative purposes to express the opinions of the writer. We do not accept or payout any money on www.golficity.com. All opinions expressed in the articles are the opinion of the writers and not necessarily the opinion of Golficity, LLC.