Listen to Rory bringing US History into the mix at a press conference.
There are certainly a lot of characters on the PGA TOUR, but Rory McIlroy might not be the first guy you think of in that way. Well, it’s time to change that opinion because McIlroy is just dripping with personality.
Some around the game have said that Rory is the best interview and always gives the best quotes to the media but that seems to kind of go under the radar. But McIlroy gave some more media gold this week after a great final round at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. While his final round 64 wasn’t enough to give him the victory, it has led some to say that McIlroy may be “back.”
I for one never really thought Rory went away, just that he was facing stiffer competition than in the past but it is true that he has only won two international events since 2016. With his great showing this past week, however, many are starting to ramp up talk about McIlroy’s chances of completing the golf Grand Slam.
Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland speaks to the media during his pre-tournament press conference as a preview for the 2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard at the Bay Hill Club on… Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
After all, Augusta is coming up soon and The Masters is the only major that McIlroy has failed to capture. He’s had plenty of opportunities to win a green jacket but has collapsed, most notably his final round disaster that allowed Patrick Reed to win the tournament. Rory has admitted that he focused too much on that in the past but isn’t worried about failing to win anymore. Failure is what really brought out the academic in Rory in his press conference, showing off a nice memory from history class.
In yet another extremely quotable moment, McIlroy likened his failures to Abraham Lincoln. “I’ve become comfortable with the fact I’ve tried four times, I’ve failed, but Abraham Lincoln lost the first 13 elections he was ever in. He wound up being the President of the United States. So I still got a bit of time.” This is classic Rory and impressive knowledge about American Presidents considering he grew up in Northern Ireland.
While his intellect and entertainment ability are on fire with that quote, we can only hope that that translates to his golf performance as well. McIlroy is playing some great golf right now so perhaps this could be the one success that leads him to a green jacket that would make Lincoln proud.
Cover Image Via Instagram
- Thomas Pieters Posted a “For Sale” Sign On His Golf Bag - March 22, 2019
- ACE: Former President George W. Bush Cards his First Hole in One - March 21, 2019
- Jon Rahm Suffered from a Monumental Back Nine Collapse at THE PLAYERS - March 18, 2019
- A Confusing Interaction With a Walking Official Cost Harold Varner III Two Strokes - March 18, 2019
- BREAKING: College Admissions Scandal Hits Golf World - March 15, 2019
- This TPC Sawgrass 17th Hole Prank is Absolutely Savage - March 13, 2019
- Apparently Donald Trump Won a Golf Tournament He Never Played In - March 11, 2019
- Iconic Golf Writer Dan Jenkins Passes Away at 89 - March 10, 2019
- ANOTHER CHANCE: Tony Romo Is Back On The PGA TOUR - March 8, 2019
- RORY MCILROY: Top World Golfer and a History Buff? - March 7, 2019