Wait, there is actually two guys on TOUR named Zach Johnson? Yep, the real ZJ has been called out on Twitter for using Taylormade equipment and the real ZJ made it clear fast that, well…there’s two ZJ’s in the field this week.
No, this isn’t some identity crisis that the former major champion is having, there will legitimately be two different people named Zach Johnson playing. This is has already caused a lot of confusion amongst the media pundits and fans at Bellerive Country Club.
The other Zach Johnson hasn’t won two majors like the ZJ we know and love, but he is looking to make a name for himself at the season’s final major. The 35-year old will be participating in the event after becoming one of the 20 participants who made it through the qualifying process. He’s currently the assistant PGA professional at Davis Park Golf Course in Kaysville, Utah and a former player for Southern Utah University.
— Zach Johnson (@ZachJohnsonPGA) August 7, 2018
The Standard-Examiner has noted the second Johnson’s path to the tournament, writing that it all began “last September in sectional qualifying when Johnson tied for first place in the Utah Section PGA Professional Championship in Wendover with a score of 5-under par. That score earned him a berth in June’s PGA Professional Championship in Seaside, California near Monterey, where the top 20 finishers qualify for the PGA Championship.”
The confusion amongst fans has already started well ahead of the tournament with people unable to distinguish the two. One tweeted at the known Zach Johnson asking why he would be switching to TaylorMade clubs instead of his PXG’s. ZJ had to respond to the fan, informing him that there were two Zach’s in the field, the other being sponsored by TaylorMade.
While Zach Johnson is a pretty common name it’s still quite remarkable that two of them will be competing for a major. We wish them both the best of luck and hope they aren’t too close on the scoreboard or else there will be even more confusion.
Cover Image Via Instagram
- Jon Rahm Suffered from a Monumental Back Nine Collapse at THE PLAYERS - March 18, 2019
- A Confusing Interaction With a Walking Official Cost Harold Varner III Two Strokes - March 18, 2019
- BREAKING: College Admissions Scandal Hits Golf World - March 15, 2019
- This TPC Sawgrass 17th Hole Prank is Absolutely Savage - March 13, 2019
- Apparently Donald Trump Won a Golf Tournament He Never Played In - March 11, 2019
- Iconic Golf Writer Dan Jenkins Passes Away at 89 - March 10, 2019
- ANOTHER CHANCE: Tony Romo Is Back On The PGA TOUR - March 8, 2019
- RORY MCILROY: Top World Golfer and a History Buff? - March 7, 2019
- PGA TOUR: Monahan Pushes Back On Players Over New Rules - March 6, 2019
- VIDEO: Golfer Punches Guy in the Face Over Cheating - March 4, 2019