This year, the PGA TOUR has been dominated by young stars that are ready to take over the game as a new generation. One player who has been expected to be part of the new generation of golf hasn’t seen much success this year, however.
Danny Willett was expected to have a big year on the PGA TOUR this year after earning a green jacket at the Masters in the 2016 season. But for Willett, it has been a year of disappointment, where he has seen his world golf ranking drop from 11th all the way to 49th. Now Willett is also facing the possibility of losing his PGA status after a last place finish at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
The lack of success he has faced this year has caused Willett to make multiple changes in 2017. For one, he parted ways with his caddie during the RBC Heritage in April to try and fix his game. Now, Willett has also made a change in swing coaches, dropping Pete Cowen who helped coach him to the Masters win and bringing in Sean Foley. Foley has worked in the past with Tiger Woods and currently coaches Justin Rose and Si Woo Kim.
Swing coach Sean Foley talks with Danny Willett of England during a practice round prior to the 2017 PGA Championship at Quail Hollow Club on August 9, 2017 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
Foley said to media that he has known Willett for a few years and that the two are friends. He also believes he can help get Willett back on track. “Basically, I just see a couple other areas that I think need attention but, you know, they’ve done such a good job,” Foley said. “Sometimes what happens, when you see someone for a long time you can start missing certain things.”
One thing that Foley’s fresh eyes won’t be able to help is Willett’s injured back. The injury has caused Willett to withdraw from THE PLAYERS Championship and the U.S. Open. It was also a factor in his 76th place finish at The Open Championship. After that major, Willett said he would consider surgery on the back but has apparently decided that health isn’t the main problem with his game.
Now that Foley is in the fold with Willett, we can only hope that the young Englishman is able to rediscover his game and regain his full PGA TOUR status.
Cover Image via YouTube
- Augusta National Suing Site to Stop Sale of Green Jackets - August 21, 2017
- Martin Piller Putting Career on Hold to Support Wife - August 19, 2017
- Sentry Insurance Becomes the Latest PGA TOUR Sponsor - August 18, 2017
- Brandt Snedeker Finished for PGA TOUR Season - August 17, 2017
- Rickie Fowler Costs Fan Millions on Bet - August 15, 2017
- Smylie Kaufman Proposes to Longtime Girlfriend Francie Harris on Golf Course - August 14, 2017
- Jordan Spieth Takes Advantage of Rules at PGA Championship - August 13, 2017
- Danny Willett Hires Sean Foley as Swing Coach - August 11, 2017
- PGA of America Partnership with Topgolf Creating Vast Opportunities - August 9, 2017
- PGA Championship Officially Moved to May Starting in 2019 - August 8, 2017