We talked awhile ago about the possibility that one of the golf broadcasting legends was thinking about hanging up the microphone. Well, that rumor has now become a reality.
NBC and Golf Channel’s Johnny Miller announced that he will be retiring from the broadcasting business. Miller has been teasing retirement for several years but hasn’t made a serious announcement until now.
This certainly qualifies as the end of an era, as 2019 will be the first season without Miller on the mic in 29 years.
Miller seems to be at peace with the decision. “It just seemed like a nice round number,” Miller told GolfDigest.com. “I’ve been on for 50 years with no break. I had my 24th grandchild yesterday. All my friends were retiring, and it got to the point where I was like, ‘Hey, how come I’m not retiring?’ It’s been a great run. I’ve done everything I can do announcing wise.”
NBC commenators Johnny Miller and Dan Hicks appear on set during the second round of the 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie Golf Club on July 20, 2018 in Carnoustie, Scotland. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
Obviously whoever would takes over for Miller would have some major shoes to fill but NBC looks like they already have their man ready to step in. It was reported and later confirmed by other sources that former pro, Paul Azinger, will be stepping into Miller’s role for the upcoming season. Miller wouldn’t confirm this during his announcement, however, believing that some names may still be getting kicked around.
If Azinger is the choice, and he seems to be, he will be jumping ship from Fox Sports, where he is the head of coverage for the U.S. Open and the Women’s U.S. Open. And if he fills that role, that may not mean the end for Miller. He’s determined that next years Waste Management Open will be his last official appearance but he wouldn’t deny the possibility that he could peak in on some tournaments.
Cover Image via Instagram
- Samuel L. Jackson, Charles Barkley Will Commentate For “The Match” - November 16, 2018
- Is Rory McIlroy Seriously Considering Giving Up His European Tour Card? - November 15, 2018
- English Pro Disqualified From Q-School Event - November 14, 2018
- A Special Exemption Will Keep Martin Kaymer on the PGA TOUR in 2019 - November 9, 2018
- Justin Rose is Dumping TaylorMade For Honma - November 9, 2018
- Tiger Woods Just Rejected His Largest Potential Appearance Fee Ever - November 9, 2018
- LPGA Player’s Mother Moved Her Daughter’s Ball Back into Play - November 6, 2018
- New Rule Could Require Golfers To Wear Helmets - November 5, 2018
- Bryson DeChambeau Won’t be Pulling the Pin on His Putts in 2019 - November 2, 2018
- Grizzly Bear Caught Vandalizing Golf Course In Montana - October 31, 2018