Every golfer has dreamed about the prospect of winning a huge golf tournament and holding a big check on the 18th green. While for most this goal is unattainable, there’s another option for players who are especially good on the greens.
For the many of us that aren’t able to make it to the PGA TOUR, the next best option could be taking up professional mini-golfing. While it may sound like a joke, it is actually a real life thing that is extremely competitive. There are associations in the United States and Europe that organize official events, one being the Minigolf Masters.
The Mini Golf Masters is being played this upcoming week at the Hawaiian Rumble and Aloha Minigolf courses in North Myrtle Beach, mini golf central. And for those who still think that this is fun and games, the total purse is $20,000 with the winner taking home $5,000.
This will be the 21st annual Mini golf Masters and will feature over 80 different contestants from all over the world.
Bob Detwiler, the founder of the U.S. ProMiniGolf Association, has been sponsoring these events for years and even got in a little trouble with Augusta for having a similar logo to the PGA TOUR Masters. “When they saw it, they said it was awfully close to theirs,” Detwiler said. “So I changed the font.” Detwiler also added an apostrophe to Master’s and now awards winners with a green windbreaker instead of a green jacket.
Detwiler has even bigger plans for the sport of mini golf. He is already planning on increasing the purse to $100,000 in the coming years and is also in contact with the directors of the World Games to see if the sport can be added to the 2021 games. In the long run, Detwiler is aiming to get mini golf into the Olympic sports field.
The big plans may seem a little far-fetched but there is no doubting that the sport has some legitimacy and the opportunity for a sizeable payday. So if you’re a strong putter but have trouble getting the ball to the green, this may be something to look into.
Cover Photo via Instagram
- Tony Romo Anxious but Ready for His PGA TOUR Debut - March 21, 2018
- 12-Year-Old from Jesup Georgia Sinks an Epic Albatross - March 20, 2018
- Even More Record Breaking TV Ratings at the Arnold Palmer Invitational - March 20, 2018
- John Daly Ranks Four Presidential Golfers He’s Played With - March 16, 2018
- Tyrell Hatton is Claiming that Phil Mickelson Gets Special Treatment - March 16, 2018
- Rickie Fowler Will Be Wearing Special Shoes to Honor Arnie at Bay Hill - March 14, 2018
- The Tiger Effect is Leading to Some Huge TV Ratings - March 14, 2018
- USGA and the R&A Announce Modern Golf Rules - March 13, 2018
- The Setup at DLF Golf and Country Club is Jaw Dropping - March 8, 2018
- Arnold Palmer’s Patented Orange Tractor is Heading South for the API - March 7, 2018