Every golfer has dreamed about the prospect of winning a huge golf tournament and holding a big check on the 18th green. While for most this goal is unattainable, there’s another option for players who are especially good on the greens.
For the many of us that aren’t able to make it to the PGA TOUR, the next best option could be taking up professional mini-golfing. While it may sound like a joke, it is actually a real life thing that is extremely competitive. There are associations in the United States and Europe that organize official events, one being the Minigolf Masters.
The Mini Golf Masters is being played this upcoming week at the Hawaiian Rumble and Aloha Minigolf courses in North Myrtle Beach, mini golf central. And for those who still think that this is fun and games, the total purse is $20,000 with the winner taking home $5,000.
This will be the 21st annual Mini golf Masters and will feature over 80 different contestants from all over the world.
Bob Detwiler, the founder of the U.S. ProMiniGolf Association, has been sponsoring these events for years and even got in a little trouble with Augusta for having a similar logo to the PGA TOUR Masters. “When they saw it, they said it was awfully close to theirs,” Detwiler said. “So I changed the font.” Detwiler also added an apostrophe to Master’s and now awards winners with a green windbreaker instead of a green jacket.
Detwiler has even bigger plans for the sport of mini golf. He is already planning on increasing the purse to $100,000 in the coming years and is also in contact with the directors of the World Games to see if the sport can be added to the 2021 games. In the long run, Detwiler is aiming to get mini golf into the Olympic sports field.
The big plans may seem a little far-fetched but there is no doubting that the sport has some legitimacy and the opportunity for a sizeable payday. So if you’re a strong putter but have trouble getting the ball to the green, this may be something to look into.
Cover Photo via Instagram
- Tiger Woods Doesn’t Care If He Intimidates You - July 16, 2018
- Steph Curry Has Rough Day in Celebrity Tournament - July 15, 2018
- Fortnite Just Became a Golf Game - July 13, 2018
- Steven Bowditch Hires 16-Year-Old Caddie On Twitter - July 12, 2018
- PGA TOUR Unveils 2018-19 Schedule, Here Are Changes You Should Know - July 11, 2018
- Tony Romo Obliterates Local Tournament with a Nine-Stroke Victory - July 10, 2018
- Tiger Woods Vs. Phil Mickelson: For $10 Million Dollars - July 6, 2018
- Rory McIlroy Fine if He Doesn’t Win Another Major - July 6, 2018
- Tom Brady Goes Nuts at Family Golf Outing - July 4, 2018
- Air France Lost Graeme McDowell’s Golf Clubs in Transit - July 2, 2018