With all of the schedule changes that have taken place this year on the PGA TOUR, it’s hard to imagine any other major shifts happening over the next few years. But one interesting proposal has caught the eyes of some spectators.
While checking out some of the news this week, I came across an interesting proposal that questioned if there could ever be another major on the PGA TOUR but this time played in the winter. This idea is easily scoffed at for a variety of reasons but when you think about it, the idea is actually pretty practical and makes all the sense in the world.
To start off, there are a lot of reasons why this will likely never happen. For one, it’s just too darn cold and out of season for most of the country, limiting course selection. Not to mention the fact that the event would be competing with Football for air time.
Darrell Moody of Richmond chips his way out of a snow patch at Bath Golf Club. Several golfers took advantage of mild weather on Monday for a round. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
But with all that negativity surrounding this possibility, there isn’t enough attention paid to the positives. One reason to have a winter major is because it would reward early form for players so that the competitors that are hot to start the year can win a major event. Further, it helps prevent overcrowding in the summer and competition late in the season from the NFL, the reason why the PGA Championship was moved up.
Realistically speaking, a January or February major could be played in Florida or at Pebble Beach, for instance. The event could easily be placed on a weekend in February after the Super Bowl and NFL competition is over when there’s a lull in professional sports action.
The par 3, 17th hole at Pebble Beach Golf Links the host venue for the 2019 US Open Championship on November 9, 2018 in Pebble Beach, California. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
While I don’t expect this to ever happen, let alone happen anytime soon, it’s definitely an interesting thing to think about. Perhaps as golf continues to spread its fandom, this will become more and more of a possibility in the future.
Cover Image via Instagram
- PGA TOUR: Is Big Bang Bubba Watson Heading To The Hollywood? - February 15, 2019
- European Tour: Biggest Tournament Winning PRIZE event EVER? - February 14, 2019
- Vijay Singh’s Intense Workouts are Going Viral - February 11, 2019
- Rocco Mediate is Opening Up About his Prior Alcohol Abuse - February 11, 2019
- X-FACTOR Swing: New Study About Golf and Back Pain - February 8, 2019
- Tony Romo is Out There Playing with Tiger and Spieth’s Old Clubs - February 7, 2019
- Diamondbacks Pitcher Archie Bradley Gets His Stolen Clubs Back - February 5, 2019
- BREAKING: Sergio Garcia Narrowly Escapes TOUR Suspension - February 4, 2019
- PGA TOUR: Meet Matthew Wolff – Golf Twitter’s New Darling - February 4, 2019
- Special Olympics Golfer Buries 15-Foot Par on 16 At TPC Scottsdale - February 1, 2019