If you waited literally your entire life for your first hole-in-one, would you walk you away from the game once it finally happened?
Ben, who suffers from hip bursitis, used his trusty five-wood on the par-3.
“I’d come close to some hole-in-ones, but this one was level on the green before it curved towards the hole and went in,” Bender said. “I was in awe watching it. I played a few more holes, but my hips were hurting and I had to stop. It seemed the Lord knew this was my last round so he gave me a hole-in-one.”
According to course manager, Steve Galloway, the round wasn’t exactly going very well until Bender got to the third hole.
“He shot 8 on 1 and 7 on 2 so you guessed it, a hole-in-one on 3,” he said. “What an amazing feat.”
But as we all know, all it takes is one shot to make a round one to remember.
“I was lucky to play golf this long, but I never expected (a hole-in-one),” Ben said. “It was the last time I was able to play, and I think God had a hand in this. I loved the game and hate to give it up, but I can’t play forever.”
I think we can all agree there’s no better way to walk away from the game we love.
Congratulations, Mr. Bender. Well deserved and a long time coming.
Cover Image via Zanesville Times Recorder
- Ben Hogan Clubs are Back in a Big Way - August 4, 2018
- Golf Course Review: Kierland Golf Course in Scottsdale, Arizona - July 27, 2018
- McEwen Reviews It: The Shot Scope V2 - July 24, 2018
- FIRST LOOK: Scotty Cameron Concept X Putters - July 18, 2018
- Want to Really Spin It? Grab Yourself an Indi Golf Wedge. - July 17, 2018
- T.J. Oshie is Officially a Golf (and Drinking) Legend - July 16, 2018
- Week in Review: Phil Teaches, Another Penalty, and Na Gets Emotional - July 9, 2018
- The Golficity Bump, A Club Toss, A Cheat, and A Picture - July 2, 2018
- The PGA TOUR Tax-Exempt Status is Being Challenged (Again) - June 26, 2018
- Bryson is Still Weird and Other Notes From the Weekend - June 25, 2018