Ahead of this week’s BMW Championship, Jason Day has replaced his longtime caddie Colin Swatton. Instead, Luke Reardon, Jason Day’s friend, and former roommate will be carrying the bag.
Apparently, this is not necessarily a temporary gig for Reardon but is meant to be a long-term replacement. That being said, his time on the bag in the 2017 season could be short-lived considering Day is hanging by a thread (28th in points) just to qualify for the Tour Championship (the top 30 move on).
At this point, there’s no word as to why Jason Day felt the need for a change. And while there have been other major caddie replacements this season with Rory and Mickelson, this one is probably the most surprising.
Jason Day of Australia celebrates with his caddie Colin Swatton on the 18th green after winning the 2015 PGA Championship with a score of 20-under par at Whistling Straits on August 16, 2015 in… Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
Colin Swatton wasn’t “just” Day’s caddie, but also a father figure and coach for the pro golfer. Day lost his father at age 12 and Swatton has been an influence ever since. To make things a bit more awkward, Swatton will actually stay on as Jason’s coach.
As mentioned early, there seems to be a trend this year with golfers replacing their longtime caddies with friends or family. Mickelson hired his brother, Rory hired his best friend, and now Day has hired Reardon, a guy he went to high school with.
And while Bones moving off of Phil’s bag was most likely due to health issues, one has to wonder if this is a case of star athletes looking for someone else to blame for their performance. It’s been a tough year for both McIlroy and Day on the golf course. Perhaps the struggles are just a result of life changes for both. McIlroy got married while Day’s mother had a fight with cancer.
Whatever the case, it will be interesting to watch what, if anything, will change.
Cover Image via Instagram
- WATCH: Golfer’s Swing is About as Unique as They Come - September 14, 2017
- Jason Day Dumps Longtime Caddie Colin Swatton - September 13, 2017
- SelfieGolf Easily Solves Your Swing Video Problem - September 6, 2017
- WATCH: Long drive Contestant’s Driver Shaft Snaps, Flies into Stands - September 6, 2017
- Five Amazon Golf Products Our Readers are Loving Right Now - August 3, 2017
- Bring Music to the Golf Course with Sound Caddy - August 1, 2017
- McIlroy Fires Long-Time Caddie JP Fitzgerald - July 31, 2017
- Shot Scope is Redefining Shot Tracking – A Hands-On Review - July 20, 2017
- Amazon Prime Day Deals Top Ten List for Golfers - July 11, 2017
- Ted Baker Golf Apparel Review - July 10, 2017