It hasn’t been the best year for caddies with many being fired and replaced throughout the course of the year. For one of these caddies, however, the year will be ending on a high note.
The Caddie Hall of Fame announced their new inductees for the year and among the new members will be Jim “Bones” Mackay. It was announced that Mackay will join this exclusive club during the 2017 BMW Championship at Conway Farms Golf Club in Lake Forest, Illinois. The ceremony will take place on the first day of play, Thursday, September 13.
Mackay undoubtedly deserves this honor, being one of the best caddies to ever carry a bag. After spending several years alternating between carrying the bag for Larry Mize, Scott Simpson, and Curtis Strange, Mackay hooked on with Phil Mickelson full-time in 1992. Working with Mickelson, Bones won 5 majors, won 41 PGA TOUR events and represented the U.S. in 22 straight Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup teams.
Jim ‘Bones’ Mackay looks on during a practice round prior to the 146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale on July 19, 2017 in Southport, England. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
Bones will join the ranks of Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Francis Ouimet, Gene Sarazen, and Steve Williams to name a few other members of the Hall of Fame.
“This is a great honor for me,” Mackay told the media. “I would like to share it with all the caddies at golf clubs around the country, and also my fellow PGA TOUR caddies, with whom I had such a great time.”
This is a nice end to the PGA TOUR season for Bones in what has otherwise been a pretty rough road. After all of those years at Mickelson’s side, Bones was relieved of his duty earlier this season. Following his removal, he took a job with NBC Sports covering golf from another perspective but has received some criticism from fans for being ineffective. This honor will certainly help him forget all the negatives of the year.
There is no doubt that Bones Mackay will be remembered as one of the best caddies in the game and we couldn’t be happier to see him join elite ranks in the Caddie Hall of Fame.
Cover Image via Instagram
- John Daly is at the Olympics…Or is He? - February 16, 2018
- Luke Wilson’s Heroic Acts Saved a Woman’s Life in Bill Haas Car Crash - February 15, 2018
- Bill Haas Released from Hospital After Fatal Car Accident - February 14, 2018
- Billy Hurley III Just Put Out a Hilarious Attack Ad Against Jordan Spieth - February 12, 2018
- Oregon Golf Course Using Goats as Caddies - February 9, 2018
- Tony Romo to Make PGA TOUR Debut Next Month - February 8, 2018
- John Daly is Selling his Claret Jug - February 7, 2018
- Waste Management Phoenix Open Shatters Attendance Record - February 5, 2018
- Jon Rahm Nails Xander Schauffele’s Ball with Approach Shot - February 2, 2018
- Is Golf Really More Dangerous than Rugby? - February 1, 2018