People say that things only get better with time and that seems to be true when you look at the PGA Champions Tour. You could even say that the Allianz Championship was more exciting than the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am that Jordan Spieth ran away with this past Sunday.
The tournament ended in dramatic fashion on Sunday when Scott McCarron made an eagle on the 18th, in order to secure a one-stroke victory over Kenny Perry and Carlos Franco.
This was a big win for McCarron, who finished his tournament at 17-under par. That was good enough for McCarron’s third win on the Champions Tour in his last 17 appearances. He will hope to carry that momentum throughout the rest of Champions Tour season and assert himself as a top player on the senior circuit.
While the 51-year old McCarron provided a lot of positive excitement, another 51-year old, John Daly, provided some more fireworks but for other reasons. Never shy about showing his emotions on the course, Daly became frustrated during his final round after, falling far out of contention. That resulted in Daly withdrawing from the tournament after launching his putter into a lake behind the 7th hole.
Here’s the top of the Super Stroke grip on Daly’s putter sticking out of the lake in back of 7. pic.twitter.com/lT4FOcSXWT
— Dan Hauser (@DanHauserGolf) February 12, 2017
Officially, Daly told officials that he left the event because he was suffering nerve pain. This isn’t the first time that Daly has thrown a club into water, as he threw his 7-iron into a lake during the 2015 PGA Championship. Daly will look to catch a groove in his next tournament, as he is yet to finish in the top ten of any Champions Tour event.
On the surface it may seem like the Champions Tour is boring compared to the young guns taking over the PGA TOUR but the Allianz Championship shows that the “older” golfers can still bring a spark of excitement to the sport of golf.
Cover Photo via YouTube
- Free Golf Lessons for National Golf Day - April 23, 2018
- Brandel Chamblee Attempting to Qualify for Senior Open - April 19, 2018
- TaylorMade to Start Selling Rory McIlroy’s Black Copper Putter - April 19, 2018
- Argument Over Golf Etiquette Results in Stabbing - April 18, 2018
- The Boys of Spring are Back Again…Sort Of - April 16, 2018
- Tiger Woods’ Backup Putter Just Sold for an Unbelievable $44,000 - April 16, 2018
- USGA to Honor Championship Winners Before the U.S. Open - April 13, 2018
- Case Study: Does Drinking While Golfing Ruin Your Game? - April 13, 2018
- Rickie Fowler is Producing a Behind the Scenes Documentary of His Alma Mater - April 11, 2018
- WGC-Bridgestone Heading to Memphis in 2019 - April 10, 2018