People say that things only get better with time and that seems to be true when you look at the PGA Champions Tour. You could even say that the Allianz Championship was more exciting than the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am that Jordan Spieth ran away with this past Sunday.
The tournament ended in dramatic fashion on Sunday when Scott McCarron made an eagle on the 18th, in order to secure a one-stroke victory over Kenny Perry and Carlos Franco.
This was a big win for McCarron, who finished his tournament at 17-under par. That was good enough for McCarron’s third win on the Champions Tour in his last 17 appearances. He will hope to carry that momentum throughout the rest of Champions Tour season and assert himself as a top player on the senior circuit.
While the 51-year old McCarron provided a lot of positive excitement, another 51-year old, John Daly, provided some more fireworks but for other reasons. Never shy about showing his emotions on the course, Daly became frustrated during his final round after, falling far out of contention. That resulted in Daly withdrawing from the tournament after launching his putter into a lake behind the 7th hole.
Here’s the top of the Super Stroke grip on Daly’s putter sticking out of the lake in back of 7. pic.twitter.com/lT4FOcSXWT
— Dan Hauser (@DanHauserGolf) February 12, 2017
Officially, Daly told officials that he left the event because he was suffering nerve pain. This isn’t the first time that Daly has thrown a club into water, as he threw his 7-iron into a lake during the 2015 PGA Championship. Daly will look to catch a groove in his next tournament, as he is yet to finish in the top ten of any Champions Tour event.
On the surface it may seem like the Champions Tour is boring compared to the young guns taking over the PGA TOUR but the Allianz Championship shows that the “older” golfers can still bring a spark of excitement to the sport of golf.
Cover Photo via YouTube
- John Daly is at the Olympics…Or is He? - February 16, 2018
- Luke Wilson’s Heroic Acts Saved a Woman’s Life in Bill Haas Car Crash - February 15, 2018
- Bill Haas Released from Hospital After Fatal Car Accident - February 14, 2018
- Billy Hurley III Just Put Out a Hilarious Attack Ad Against Jordan Spieth - February 12, 2018
- Oregon Golf Course Using Goats as Caddies - February 9, 2018
- Tony Romo to Make PGA TOUR Debut Next Month - February 8, 2018
- John Daly is Selling his Claret Jug - February 7, 2018
- Waste Management Phoenix Open Shatters Attendance Record - February 5, 2018
- Jon Rahm Nails Xander Schauffele’s Ball with Approach Shot - February 2, 2018
- Is Golf Really More Dangerous than Rugby? - February 1, 2018