For many, the Honda Classic is just another opportunity to play a good round of golf and notch a victory to move up in the PGA standings. For Jason Bohn, however, returning to the Honda Classic has much more meaning.
In this very same tournament last year, Bohn was rolling along after making the cut and was well on his way to qualifying for the WGC-Match Play Championship. During his round, however, Bohn felt shortness of breath and his chest tightened up. Bohn thought it was just fatigue but after paramedics arrived, he was told that he had suffered a minor heart attack.
After being taken to the hospital, Bohn underwent many tests with nothing looking out of the ordinary. One of the final tests Bohn underwent, however, revealed that there was a 99 percent blockage of the left anterior descending artery, better known as the “widow maker.”
Bohn was extremely lucky in his case and he does not take his experience lightly. While he understands that this was a serious threat to his life, Bohn still tries to stay positive. Recollecting his tournament, Bohn stated that “I’m going to embrace the challenge, to realize a year ago I was pretty close to not making it out of the Bear Trap.”
Bohn certainly did embrace the challenge of getting back onto the course. After suffering his heart attack, it would typically take eight weeks to recover, with two to three physical workouts a week. But Bohn worked hard in his recovery and was able to return to golf after only six weeks.
It is great to see Bohn back at the Honda Classic this year and hopefully, he will be able to finish what he started, having a strong tournament at the PGA National Golf Club.
Cover Image via YouTube
- Rocco Mediate Made a Golfer Out of “Rush” Guitarist Alex Lifeson - May 25, 2017
- Tony Romo to Make Broadcasting Debut at Colonial - May 24, 2017
- College Golfer Has to Dive in After Golf Ball to Save His Round - May 23, 2017
- Golf is Quickly Becoming a Retirement Plan for Other Athletes - May 22, 2017
- 15 Year Old Akshay Bhatia Advances in U.S. Open Qualifier - May 19, 2017
- Nike Releases New Air Jordan 13 Golf Shoe - May 18, 2017
- Vijay Singh and the PGA TOUR are Headed to Court - May 17, 2017
- European Tour Gets a Makeover Complete with Pyrotechnics - May 16, 2017
- Struggling Rory McIlroy to Receive MRI on Back - May 15, 2017
- PGA TOUR Caddies Take a Shot at TPC Sawgrass No. 17 - May 12, 2017