There has been much talk in recent memory about trying to get younger golfers involved at the highest levels of the game. To accomplish this task, the European Tour set up a bunch of exciting stipulations for golfers last week.
In its inaugural tournament, the European Tour made wild alterations that made this tournament unique compared to anything golf has ever seen before. The tournament was a two-day long, six-hole match play event that pinned two-man teams from different countries against each other with the winning team receiving 1.1 million euros. While this wouldn’t help the English team much after Brexit, that’s still a hefty sum.
Other than the quirky new tournament format that came about for this event, the GolfSixes tournament seems to be a mix of golf, WWE, and basketball, mixed with a little TV drama on the course. This strange mix is found by the different actions that are taken on each specific hole. Each of the six holes has its own special action, from pyrotechnics and walk out music on one hole, to a 40-second shot clock for every shot on another.
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) May 3, 2017
Outside of those ridiculous add-ons, there are other competitions that are more reminiscent of your typical golf wagers, such as the longest drive challenge, a closest to the pin challenge, and on-course interviews during the final holes. There is even a charity aspect given to the wacky event, as players who birdied or better on the second hole guaranteed a charitable donation to those in need.
Keith Pelley, the chief executive of the European Tour, had been attempting to expand the game to younger people and he may have found a winner with this event. “It’s an innovative way to get young kids to play, bring it out of the old age a bit and into the new age,” England player Andy Sullivan said.
“It’s based around being more fun, more relaxed, but still being competitive.”
While I doubt that you will see any event similar to this on the PGA TOUR anytime soon, it would be fun to see Bubba Watson walk out onto the course with the entrance music of the WWE’s Big Show. Until then, anyone looking to catch this event will have to watch the events happening over the pond.
Cover Photo via YouTube
- Free Golf Lessons for National Golf Day - April 23, 2018
- Brandel Chamblee Attempting to Qualify for Senior Open - April 19, 2018
- TaylorMade to Start Selling Rory McIlroy’s Black Copper Putter - April 19, 2018
- Argument Over Golf Etiquette Results in Stabbing - April 18, 2018
- The Boys of Spring are Back Again…Sort Of - April 16, 2018
- Tiger Woods’ Backup Putter Just Sold for an Unbelievable $44,000 - April 16, 2018
- USGA to Honor Championship Winners Before the U.S. Open - April 13, 2018
- Case Study: Does Drinking While Golfing Ruin Your Game? - April 13, 2018
- Rickie Fowler is Producing a Behind the Scenes Documentary of His Alma Mater - April 11, 2018
- WGC-Bridgestone Heading to Memphis in 2019 - April 10, 2018