One of the most annoying things about playing golf is getting ready to hit your shot when suddenly a horn sounds across the course to pause play for lightning. While most players hate this, it’s a good thing it happened in West Lafayette, Indiana this week.
On Tuesday afternoon, there were huge thunderstorms rolling over Purdue University’s Kampen Course in the West Lafayette area. The timing was poor, as the Indiana Open Championship was in session and play could not be continued on the soaked course. The most interesting thing to come out of these storms, however, is the cool pattern that a bolt of lighting left on the course’s 11th hole.
Going down the fairway, the pattern can be easily seen. Starting with where the bolt actually struck, with many following veins that stretch out in every direction.. The veins are made of dead, burnt grass where the electric current passed through.
This is why we are serious when sounding the air horns because of lightning. This bolt struck #11 fairway on Kampen pic.twitter.com/gUnaJPun9k
— Purdue Golf (@PurdueGolf) July 11, 2017
“It’s like it hit right there and then spread out,” club professional Todd DeHaven said of the strike’s pattern.
“Just amazing. Like they said, it just shows you can’t mess around when lightning’s out there.”
While speaking about the new pattern in his fairway, DeHaven also preferred to describe it as looking like a bunch of tree roots.
This crazy lightning phenomenon is just adding to the list of strange weather events that have hit golf this year. There was the earthquake a few weeks ago that rocked the area around Augusta National. And then there was the Greenbrier Classic that had many holes flooded by strong storms. The next thing you know, there will be a tornado that strikes Pebble Beach!
Luckily, there was no one playing on the course when the lightning struck on Tuesday but it is a reminder to not take storm warnings lightly while playing your round.
Cover Photo via Twitter
- Brandel Chamblee Attempting to Qualify for Senior Open - April 19, 2018
- TaylorMade to Start Selling Rory McIlroy’s Black Copper Putter - April 19, 2018
- Argument Over Golf Etiquette Results in Stabbing - April 18, 2018
- The Boys of Spring are Back Again…Sort Of - April 16, 2018
- Tiger Woods’ Backup Putter Just Sold for an Unbelievable $44,000 - April 16, 2018
- USGA to Honor Championship Winners Before the U.S. Open - April 13, 2018
- Case Study: Does Drinking While Golfing Ruin Your Game? - April 13, 2018
- Rickie Fowler is Producing a Behind the Scenes Documentary of His Alma Mater - April 11, 2018
- WGC-Bridgestone Heading to Memphis in 2019 - April 10, 2018
- Patrick Reed Celebrated His Masters Win Without His Family By His Side - April 9, 2018