One of the most annoying things about playing golf is getting ready to hit your shot when suddenly a horn sounds across the course to pause play for lightning. While most players hate this, it’s a good thing it happened in West Lafayette, Indiana this week.
On Tuesday afternoon, there were huge thunderstorms rolling over Purdue University’s Kampen Course in the West Lafayette area. The timing was poor, as the Indiana Open Championship was in session and play could not be continued on the soaked course. The most interesting thing to come out of these storms, however, is the cool pattern that a bolt of lighting left on the course’s 11th hole.
Going down the fairway, the pattern can be easily seen. Starting with where the bolt actually struck, with many following veins that stretch out in every direction.. The veins are made of dead, burnt grass where the electric current passed through.
This is why we are serious when sounding the air horns because of lightning. This bolt struck #11 fairway on Kampen pic.twitter.com/gUnaJPun9k
— Purdue Golf (@PurdueGolf) July 11, 2017
“It’s like it hit right there and then spread out,” club professional Todd DeHaven said of the strike’s pattern.
“Just amazing. Like they said, it just shows you can’t mess around when lightning’s out there.”
While speaking about the new pattern in his fairway, DeHaven also preferred to describe it as looking like a bunch of tree roots.
This crazy lightning phenomenon is just adding to the list of strange weather events that have hit golf this year. There was the earthquake a few weeks ago that rocked the area around Augusta National. And then there was the Greenbrier Classic that had many holes flooded by strong storms. The next thing you know, there will be a tornado that strikes Pebble Beach!
Luckily, there was no one playing on the course when the lightning struck on Tuesday but it is a reminder to not take storm warnings lightly while playing your round.
Cover Photo via Twitter
- Little Known PGA TOUR Veteran Chad Collins Shoots 60 at Barbasol - July 22, 2017
- J.P. Fitzgerald’s Tough Love Saved Rory McIlroy’s Round - July 20, 2017
- BBC Secures Rights to Broadcast PGA Championship - July 20, 2017
- Justin Thomas to Wear Silk Tie and Cardigan at Open Championship - July 18, 2017
- Steph Curry Shines Ahead of Ellie Mae Classic - July 17, 2017
- Lightning Strikes Golf Course Leaving Strange Pattern in the Fairway - July 15, 2017
- Sky Sports Loses Rights to Stream PGA Championship - July 14, 2017
- Golf Ball Recovery Diver Attacked by Alligator - July 12, 2017
- Are Scott McCarron and Bernhard Langer Breaking the Rules? - July 11, 2017
- Greenbrier Classic Champion Xander Schauffele Has an Interesting Backstory - July 10, 2017