With the introduction of sports betting into the mainstream culture, golf has become one of the most popular sports to wager on, especially to create some excitement during the slower part of the schedule. And one man from across the pond cashed in big time on his bets.
Betting on golf can always result in a big payoff, just think about the million dollar tournaments that FanDuel and Drafkings put on during every major during the year. But there are much simpler ways to win money as one unidentified man did in Ireland. To cash in big, the man played a simple two-player parlay.
For those who are not up in speed with the sports betting lingo, a parlay means that you pick multiple winners in multiple events. All of your picks have to win their specific event for you to win the bet. It’s a popular way to turn a small bet into big winnings. In the case of this Irishman, he turned 10 euros into 10,000 euros after putting down a two-player parlay on Xander Schauffele and Cameron Champ.
Cameron Champ speaks to the crowd after winning the Sanderson Farms Championship at The Country Club of Jackson on October 28, 2018 in Jackson, Mississippi. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
The first part of that parlay looked like it was in jeopardy during the WGC-HSBC Champions event but Schauffele was able to birdie his final two holes to force a playoff with Tony Finau, which he ended up winning. Then was young Cameron Champ who carried a four-stroke lead into his event, the Sanderson Farms. Although Champ started out slow, he really kicked it into high gear, birdieing five of his last six to win by four.
So to the delight of the Irish bettor, he had won an incredibly improbable parlay. Taking a look at the odds, Schauffele was a 50 to 1 chance to take home the WGC-HSBC Champions trophy while Champ was 65 to 1 shot to win Sanderson Farms. The chances of nailing both picks, however, evened out at 1000 to 1 odds, which is how the man hit so big.
Perhaps this man had the luck of the Irish with him this weekend or perhaps he studied the field to make educated bets. Regardless, I wish I knew who he was just so he could give me advice for my next fantasy lineup.
- Could the PGA TOUR Realistically Create a “Winter Major?” - January 17, 2019
- Internet Sensation Ho-Sung Choi is Making his PGA TOUR Debut At Pebble Beach - January 16, 2019
- Ted Potter Jr’s Four-Putt Cost Him a Whopping $68,000 Payday - January 15, 2019
- Jason Dufner Inked a New Sponsorship Deal with DUDE Products - January 13, 2019
- RYDER CUP: Harrington Named 2020 European Team Captain - January 11, 2019
- Steph Curry’s Event Scratched From PGA TOUR Schedule - January 9, 2019
- Ian Poulter Came Up with a Creative Way of Remedying his PGA TOUR Violation - January 8, 2019
- Cody Blick Actually Got His Stolen Clubs Back - January 7, 2019
- PGA TOUR Pro Kyle Thompson is Quitting the Game For A “Real Job” - January 4, 2019
- Thomas Bjorn Lived Up To Promise by Getting a Ryder Cup Tattoo - December 28, 2018