With the introduction of sports betting into the mainstream culture, golf has become one of the most popular sports to wager on, especially to create some excitement during the slower part of the schedule. And one man from across the pond cashed in big time on his bets.
Betting on golf can always result in a big payoff, just think about the million dollar tournaments that FanDuel and Drafkings put on during every major during the year. But there are much simpler ways to win money as one unidentified man did in Ireland. To cash in big, the man played a simple two-player parlay.
For those who are not up in speed with the sports betting lingo, a parlay means that you pick multiple winners in multiple events. All of your picks have to win their specific event for you to win the bet. It’s a popular way to turn a small bet into big winnings. In the case of this Irishman, he turned 10 euros into 10,000 euros after putting down a two-player parlay on Xander Schauffele and Cameron Champ.
Cameron Champ speaks to the crowd after winning the Sanderson Farms Championship at The Country Club of Jackson on October 28, 2018 in Jackson, Mississippi. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
The first part of that parlay looked like it was in jeopardy during the WGC-HSBC Champions event but Schauffele was able to birdie his final two holes to force a playoff with Tony Finau, which he ended up winning. Then was young Cameron Champ who carried a four-stroke lead into his event, the Sanderson Farms. Although Champ started out slow, he really kicked it into high gear, birdieing five of his last six to win by four.
So to the delight of the Irish bettor, he had won an incredibly improbable parlay. Taking a look at the odds, Schauffele was a 50 to 1 chance to take home the WGC-HSBC Champions trophy while Champ was 65 to 1 shot to win Sanderson Farms. The chances of nailing both picks, however, evened out at 1000 to 1 odds, which is how the man hit so big.
Perhaps this man had the luck of the Irish with him this weekend or perhaps he studied the field to make educated bets. Regardless, I wish I knew who he was just so he could give me advice for my next fantasy lineup.
- The USGA Hired its First Ever Senior Director Of Player Relations - March 24, 2019
- Thomas Pieters Posted a “For Sale” Sign On His Golf Bag - March 22, 2019
- ACE: Former President George W. Bush Cards his First Hole in One - March 21, 2019
- Jon Rahm Suffered from a Monumental Back Nine Collapse at THE PLAYERS - March 18, 2019
- A Confusing Interaction With a Walking Official Cost Harold Varner III Two Strokes - March 18, 2019
- BREAKING: College Admissions Scandal Hits Golf World - March 15, 2019
- This TPC Sawgrass 17th Hole Prank is Absolutely Savage - March 13, 2019
- Apparently Donald Trump Won a Golf Tournament He Never Played In - March 11, 2019
- Iconic Golf Writer Dan Jenkins Passes Away at 89 - March 10, 2019
- ANOTHER CHANCE: Tony Romo Is Back On The PGA TOUR - March 8, 2019