Now that all of the major events of 2018 are over, players will now take some time to switch things up in preparation for the new year. One of the surprising players that is looking to switch up their gameplay next year is one who had a breakout season.
It’s hard to argue that anyone had a better year than Tony Finau last season. Finau had one of the many breakout seasons for the younger generation of golf, capturing a whopping 19 top-25 finishes and 11 top-ten finishes, three of which came at the first three majors of the year. But even with all of that success, he’s looking to make some improvements.
The one area that Finau seems to be focusing on is his swing. Finau and others believe that when he isn’t playing at his best, it’s often because of the inconsistency of his swing. The shaky swing has been described as flat with his arms moving too much and his swing coming up far shorter than it should. Finau believes this is an easy fix that could give him even more success in 2019.
Tony Finau of the United States plays his shot from the second tee during the third round of the Mayakoba Golf Classic at El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Course on November 10, 2018 in Playa del Carmen,… Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
“It’s something that throughout the year we’ve noticed when I don’t swing it well, I’m a little flat, a little short,” Finau said. “So it’s something that we want to work on, but now is finally the time that I have to actually work on it. When you’re playing competitive golf, you want to be careful with what you address and how much attention you pay to those sort of things.”
If Finau is right about his swing being inconsistent, he could actually be in for an even bigger year in 2019. Even with the flat swing on some occasions, Finau finished 15th on the PGA TOUR in strokes gained from tee-to-green. If he could crack the top ten in those numbers next year, Finau could find himself in the winner’s circle rather than in the top ten.
Tony Finau of the United States speaks to the media during his pre-tournament press conference as a preview for the 2018 Hero World Challenge at the Albany Club on November 27, 2018 in Nassau,… Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
Finau certainly won’t be the only player tweaking his game this quick offseason but he certainly may have the most room for improvement. And if that swing gets better, he could be an incredibly dangerous player next year.
Cover Image Via Instagram
- The PGA TOUR is Considering Adding a Draft For College Players - December 10, 2018
- Bubba Watson Doesn’t Want to Play in the 2019 President’s Cup - December 6, 2018
- Here are the Major Rule Changes You Should Know For 2019 - December 4, 2018
- Tiger Woods Narrowly Avoided a Two-Stroke Penalty At the Hero World Challenge - December 3, 2018
- Tiger Woods Just Made his First Ace In Two Decades - November 29, 2018
- SWING FIX: Tony Finau Working Hard On His Swing Before 2019 - November 28, 2018
- Eddie Pepperell Slammed “The Match” on Twitter and Got Some Pushback - November 23, 2018
- PGA TOUR, Vijay Singh Settle Lawsuit Over Deer Antler Spray - November 22, 2018
- NEW GAME: Michigan Business Combining Golf and Poker - November 20, 2018
- Samuel L. Jackson, Charles Barkley Will Commentate For “The Match” - November 16, 2018