Everyone knows about the amazing exploits of Tiger Woods throughout his unbelievable golf career. But one stat that gets often overlooked is his aces.
If you’re old enough to remember when Woods made his professional debut back in 1996, you surely recall that he hit an ace during his first professional tournament. That’s probably the moment that you realized the kid was something special. And Tiger has certainly lived up to that billing by becoming possibly the greatest golfer to ever step on the course.
Tiger has added to his hole-in-one exploits since that first tournament, nailing one the next year at TPC Scottsdale, and then the year after that, he hit another one while playing at The International.
At that time, it was conceivable that the guy was going to have at least one ace every season since he had three in his first three years on the PGA TOUR. But that would end up being the last time that Woods hit a hole-in-one. That is, until 2018.
Tiger Woods of the United States plays a shot during the pro-am as a preview for the 2018 Hero World Challenge at the Albany Club on November 28, 2018 in Nassau, Bahamas. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
Tiger was playing a friendly round before Thanksgiving with his son, Bob McNamara, and Fred Couples at the Madison Club in La Quinta, California when he sunk a five iron shot on the second hole. Tiger joked about it this week, saying that, “For some reason, it took (20) years. Never made one this century, and lo and behold, I make my 20th.”
The 20th that Tiger mentions is his total amount of aces since he’s been playing golf. Only the three mentioned have come during his professional ranks but having 20 total is just an ungodly amount for players who dream of just hitting one in their lifetime. Of those 20 though, I’m sure Tiger wishes one of them would have come during “The Match” last week so he could have beat Phil Mickelson in their insane match-up.
Knowing what he’s accomplished as a professional, I’m sure Tiger wouldn’t have been too upset if he didn’t hit another ace in his lifetime but I’m sure it was sweet for him to hit his first in several years. Perhaps that’ll open the floodgates and he’ll get number four on the PGA TOUR in 2019.
Cover Photo via Instagram
- The PGA TOUR is Considering Adding a Draft For College Players - December 10, 2018
- Bubba Watson Doesn’t Want to Play in the 2019 President’s Cup - December 6, 2018
- Here are the Major Rule Changes You Should Know For 2019 - December 4, 2018
- Tiger Woods Narrowly Avoided a Two-Stroke Penalty At the Hero World Challenge - December 3, 2018
- Tiger Woods Just Made his First Ace In Two Decades - November 29, 2018
- SWING FIX: Tony Finau Working Hard On His Swing Before 2019 - November 28, 2018
- Eddie Pepperell Slammed “The Match” on Twitter and Got Some Pushback - November 23, 2018
- PGA TOUR, Vijay Singh Settle Lawsuit Over Deer Antler Spray - November 22, 2018
- NEW GAME: Michigan Business Combining Golf and Poker - November 20, 2018
- Samuel L. Jackson, Charles Barkley Will Commentate For “The Match” - November 16, 2018