Apparently, The Match between Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods must have been a rousing success.
According to multiple sources, Mickelson and Woods originally signed a three-year deal with WarnerMedia, meaning they’ll repeat the one-on-one duel in 2019 and 2020…sort of.
In order to keep both interested in doing it again, a team format is “almost a certainty” according to someone close to the two golfers.
Phil Mickelson plays a shot during The Match: Tiger vs Phil at Shadow Creek Golf Course on November 23, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images
It’s a bit of a surprising move considering first, the pay-per-view part of The Match was a total bust, resulting in Turner Broadcasting having to refund everyone’s payments, and two, it was panned by viewers, overall.
It just wasn’t that good. And most of the build-up to the event was down-right cringe-worthy. Remember those awful promo photos of the two behind stacks of money?
According to Turner, while they haven’t released the official numbers or figures, it did draw nearly a million pairs of eyeballs, so I guess that makes it worth giving it another try.
The change in format makes sense and is welcome, in my opinion.
Obviously, adding two of the new kids on the TOUR would be a no-brainer. A Spieth/Thomas pairing with each of them is the obvious choice. I would also be up for a Nicklaus/Player pairing. Or teaming up with a couple members of the LPGA would also be a welcome addition.
If they want to think a little outside of the box, maybe we go the celebrity route. Bill Murray should be everyone’s first draft choice if that’s what they decide on. If anyone can keep the masses entertained during a round of golf, it’s that guy. Or maybe they do a kind of playing/interview format. Pair them up with someone who can play a little golf, but also can ask some questions along the way to get them talking.
In other words, I’m available.
Cover Image via Instagram
- Ben Hogan is Back in the Putter Game - March 18, 2019
- Tommy Armour Announces New ATOMIC Clubs - March 11, 2019
- EQUIPMENT: Miura Golf Releases New K-Grind 2.0 Wedge - March 7, 2019
- Golf Podcast Co-Host Mike Fasano’s ‘Best Friend’ Molinari Signs With Callaway - March 5, 2019
- McEwen Reviews It: The 2019 Chicago Golf Show - March 3, 2019
- Abraham Ancer Just Became Miura Golf’s First Ever Ambassador - February 21, 2019
- The USGA and R&A Driving Distance Report is Still Shortsighted - February 7, 2019
- McEwen Reviews It: In-Depth Demo Day Experience - February 2, 2019
- UA and Jordan Spieth Collaborate to Create the Spieth 3 - January 29, 2019
- Lexi Thompson Joins Short Par 4 as Brand Ambassador - January 29, 2019