If you pay attention to golf at all, you probably know that Tony Romo is one of the most famous, if not the most famous, celebrity golfer in the country right now. But what’s really striking people this week isn’t that he’s playing but what clubs he’s playing with.
Romo, an NFL announcer on CBS Sports, just recently finished his season in the broadcast booth after calling the Super Bowl and he’s ready to move back into the golf circuit. He’ll be kicking off his season with the Pro-Am at Pebble Beach and it’s actually his clubs that are getting the most attention.
It was recently revealed that Tony Romo will be using two clubs he inherited from Jordan Spieth and Tiger Woods this week. He’ll be using a wedge that he got from Spieth as well as one of Tiger’s old Nike putters. Tiger actually used the exact model putter on the PGA TOUR for a few years until Nike halted its golf equipment business.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 5, 2019
If you’re wondering how Romo was able to snag these pieces of equipment, it’s because he’s actually close friends with these guys. “He’s best friends with Jordan,” Mizuno tour rep Jeff Cook told Tursky. “He plays a lot with Jordan at the same club, they play all the time at home. When Jordan gets done with his [clubs] and gets new ones, he gives them to him.”
Romo will be looking for his first win at the Pebble Beach event that he’s played in for almost a decade. He’s come close several times in the past, playing with stars like Tiger, but hasn’t pulled out a win yet.
But Romo is climbing up the celebrity golf unofficial tour, winning the American Century Championship last year and playing in the Dominican Republic on a sponsor’s exemption for the PGA TOUR so a win here would really solidify his status.
It’ll be great to see Romo back on the golf course this year now that football season is over and I expect he’ll pile up a few wins. And as long as he’s using those two clubs, maybe he’ll have the luck of the pros rubbing off on him.
Cover Image via Twitter
- PGA TOUR: Is Big Bang Bubba Watson Heading To The Hollywood? - February 15, 2019
- European Tour: Biggest Tournament Winning PRIZE event EVER? - February 14, 2019
- Vijay Singh’s Intense Workouts are Going Viral - February 11, 2019
- Rocco Mediate is Opening Up About his Prior Alcohol Abuse - February 11, 2019
- X-FACTOR Swing: New Study About Golf and Back Pain - February 8, 2019
- Tony Romo is Out There Playing with Tiger and Spieth’s Old Clubs - February 7, 2019
- Diamondbacks Pitcher Archie Bradley Gets His Stolen Clubs Back - February 5, 2019
- BREAKING: Sergio Garcia Narrowly Escapes TOUR Suspension - February 4, 2019
- PGA TOUR: Meet Matthew Wolff – Golf Twitter’s New Darling - February 4, 2019
- Special Olympics Golfer Buries 15-Foot Par on 16 At TPC Scottsdale - February 1, 2019