One of the biggest impediments for people that want to get into golf is that it costs a lot of money to play consistently. Well, that may not be the case for some Pennsylvania residents.
Green fees can become quite expensive for players, especially if you’re looking to play on a pristine course. But if you happen to live near Buhl Park Golf Course in Sharon, Pennsylvania, you can play that course without paying a dime for greens fees. That’s right, you can play a round on this nine-hole course free of charge.
The course was originally founded by millionaire Frank H. Buhl way back in the early 20th century. The course is relatively small and isn’t the prettiest in the world but is able to keep up its free function because it is funded by the Buhl Trust Fund and various donations. There is no clubhouse, no pro shop, and no refreshment stands for the course.
— GoErieSports (@GoErieSports) September 10, 2018
Since it is a free course, many have the idea that it’s pretty terribly maintained but the operators are looking to change that mindset. “There’s a bit of a misconception that when people hear it’s a free golf course, they think it looks like a cow pasture. It is not a cow pasture,” said Riley Atterholt, the director of Sports and Recreation at Buhl Farm Park. “We try to keep in it the best shape we can.”
According to the people that operate the little course, there are about 30 regulars that play there almost every day. There’s no need for any tee times and the only requirement is that you sign in once you arrive. The course is open from mid-April to November, 8 a.m. to sunset and operates on a simple first come, first serve basis.
There is data that confirms that this is the only free golf course in America and some suggest it’s the only free course in the world. So while it may not be Augusta National, this seems like a really cool spot to just play the game and get back to your humble roots.
Cover Photo via Mike Bires
- Bryson DeChambeau Has Unique Way Of Choosing A Golf Ball - September 21, 2018
- Golf Paintings Help Release Innocent Man From Jail - September 21, 2018
- Big 12 Women’s Champ Celia Barquin Arozamena Found Dead On Course - September 18, 2018
- Golf Dog Helps Find Balls On Local Course - September 16, 2018
- Hurricane Florence Threatening Carolina Golf Scene - September 13, 2018
- Finau Earns Ryder Cup Nod, Now Turns To FedEx Cup Final - September 13, 2018
- Buhl Park Golf Course is the Only Free Golf Course in America, Perhaps the World - September 11, 2018
- Final Ryder Cup Spot Down to Finau or Schauffele - September 10, 2018
- A North Dakota Golf Course is Delivering Refreshments with Drones - September 7, 2018
- Hunter Mahan Regains PGA TOUR Status - September 6, 2018